Get a complete overview on what is SQL? With best courses and resources to learn
Today we will have a complete overview on what is SQL? And also have a short overview on the topics related to it.
What is SQL?
SQL stands for – “Structured Query Languages”. SQL is a standard language used to operate, access and communicate with relational databases.
It is also used to insert, search, update and modify the databases. It also includes some of the key operations like modifying rows, fetching rows, and deletion.
According to American National Standards Institute also known as ANSI , SQL is a standard for relational database managements systems.
According to Wikipedia SQL is:
SQL “sequel“; Structured Query Language) is a domain-specific language used in programming and designed for managing data held in a relational database management system (RDBMS), or for stream processing in a relational data stream management system (RDSMS).
Brief description and history of SQL
- SQL was developed by IBM, Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond F. Boyce.
- SQL was officially declared and was considered as the standard of ANSI in 1986.
- SQL became the standard for International Organization for Standardization (ISO) in 1987.
- First version of SQL was launched in the year 1989.
- In the year 2006 SQL added a key feature of adding support for XML Query Language.
- New versions of the standard SQL were published in 1989, 1992, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2011, and most recently, 2016.
Advantages of using SQL
- SQL allows users to describe the data.
- SQL is a standardized language.
- SQL does not need any coding.
- It is also an interactive language which means it is easy to learn and understand.
- SQL also has a feature of portability. (Which means it can be used in PCs, laptops, servers and mobile as well)
- SQL is a very fast and efficient language to use for large databases.
- SQL is used by major DBMS system vendors such as Microsoft, Oracle and IBM.
- It is also an open-source language.
- SQL can make different views on the same database which is also known as “Multiple Data View”.
What exactly is SQL used for?
Here are some of the points that will help you understand where is SQL used in real world problems.
- SQL makes the operation of the accessing the data in RDBMS systems easier and efficient to the users.
- It also helps in simple operations like describing the data i.e. data description.
- It can create new databases.
- It can create multiple views in the same database.
- SQL can retrieve the data from the database and use where ever it is needed.
- SQL can insert, delete and update the records and data in the databases.
Types of SQL Statements
- Data Query Language (DQL)
- Data Definition Language (DDL)
- Data Control Language (DCL)
- Transaction Control Language (TCL)
- Data Manipulation Language (DML)
Here are some of the most commonly used SQL commands.
Here are some commands used in DDL (Data Definition Language)
- CREATE: This command helps in creation of a new table, a view of that table and other objects in database.
- ALTER: This command helps in modifying the existing data objects such as table and views of table.
- DROP: This command helps in deletion of the objects in the database.
Here are some commands used in DML (Data Manipulation Language)
- SELECT: This command helps in retrieving the records from one or more tables.
- UPDATE: This command helps in modifying the records.
- INSERT: This command helps in creation of a record.
- DELETE: This command helps in deletion of the records.
Here are some commands in DCL (Data Control Language)
- GRANT: This gives a privilege to the user.
- REVOKE: This takes back the privilege granted to the user.
Courses to learn SQL
Paid SQL courses:
1. The Complete SQL Bootcamp 2021: Go from Zero to Hero
2. SQL for Beginners: Learn SQL using MySQL and Database Design
Free SQL courses:
1. MySQL Tutorial for Beginners [Full Course]
2. SQL Tutorial – Full Database Course for Beginners
Books to learn SQL
1. SQL QuickStart Guide: The Simplified Beginner’s Guide to Managing, Analyzing, and Manipulating Data With SQL
2. Learning SQL: Generate, Manipulate, and Retrieve Data, Third Edition
3. SQL in 10 Minutes, Sams Teach Yourself
4. SQL for Data Analytics: Perform fast and efficient data analysis with the power of SQL
5. SQL All – In – One For Dummies
This was a complete overview of SQL from a beginner’s perspective. Hope you enjoyed reading the article and I will see you in the next.