What is Software Engineering? | Definition, Characteristics, Objectives, with 5 best books for reference
In today’s digital world we often here the word “software engineering” but many of us do not get what does it exactly mean.
So today in this article we are going to explore the world of software engineering. And at the end of the article, you would get an idea of what is software engineering and the aspects related to it.
Make sure you stick till the end get most out this article.
Table of Contents:
- What is Software Engineering?
- Why Software engineering so popular?
- Is software engineering same as IT and CS engineering?
- What does a software engineer do?
- Different types of software engineering.
- Objectives of software engineering.
- Why software engineering required?
- Importance of software engineering.
- Books for helping you in understanding software engineering in detail.
What is Software Engineering?
Software engineering is a defined a process in which the instructions, demands and ideas of the user are analyzed. Then the designing, testing, production, development is carried out for best results.
This whole phenomenon is termed as software engineering.
In simple terms software word states that it is a collection of code, implantation of that code into the user required problem and testing that code under variable conditions.
And Engineering word states that it is a best practice, methods and principles through which a product is developed to solve real world problems.
According to Wikipedia software engineering is:
“The systematic application of scientific and technological knowledge, methods, and experience to the design, implementation, testing, and documentation of software”
Why Software Engineering so popular?
As the world is moving towards digitalization and many of the businesses are turning online many of the companies and startups require a digital platform in the form of app or software to sell their products.
This is the loop hole where software engineers are required to solve their problems. So due to globalization and increasing need for digital products software engineering at its peak now.
Also in the next decade, the whole world be moving towards automation and AI to develop those platforms and technologies software engineers will be required.
Is Software Engineering same as IT and CS engineering?
Yes, software engineering is a part of IT and CS engineering. This is a miss concept among a lot of people that CES is known as software engineering, but it is not entirely correct.
Computer Science Engineering is not all about software development. It also consists of many different technologies such as computer hardware, data sciences and cloud computing.
To know more in dept about Computer Science Engineering (CSE) visit this article:
What is Computer Engineering? | Definition, importance, applications, books and courses, salary, with 10 best fields of Computer Engineering in 2021
To know more in dept. about Information Technology (IT) Engineering visit this article:
What does a Software Engineer do?
- Front-end Engineer.
- Back-end Engineer.
- Security Engineer.
- Data Scientist.
- Mobile application developer.
- Full-stack developer.
- DevOps Engineer.
- Software Engineer in Test (QA engineer).
Different types of Software Engineering
1. Operational Software Engineering: This is the type of software engineering where the software interacts with the systems. In this the engineer is bounded to activities like usability, functionality and security of the product.
2. Transitional Software Engineering: This type of engineering usually deals with the software and its behavior under different conditions. In short, the testing of the software and the factors like scalability and flexibility of a software are taken care.
3. Software Engineering Maintenance: This where the maintenance of the software is been taken care off. This is the phase where the compatibility of software is checked with the current system for efficient functioning.
Objectives of software engineering
1. Maintainability: The software should be feasible and should be capable of working with the new changing requirements.
2. Testability: Here the software has to under multiple trials of challenges and still working with its full potential and without any error and improper functioning.
3. Portability: Portability is also called as multi-platform functioning. Is short when the software is transferred from one computer to another it should work properly with any errors.
4. Efficiency: The software should work using limited resources of the computer. And the software should be working without any error after multiple times of usage.
5. Reusability: After multiple session of working with the software the efficiency should not get reduce. Reusability means a software can develop new products easily and efficiently.
Why software engineering required?
Here are some reasons that explain the requirements of software engineering in short:
- Easy and efficient to manage and control large and complex software.
- It also helps in increasing the scalability.
- Software engineering also helps in cost management and using it effectively.
In all software engineering helps in better quality management of the software.
Importance of software engineering
Importance of software engineering are as follows:
- Helps in reducing the complexities in a software.
- Manages the software with efficiency and less complications.
- It also helps in decrease the time required for development.
- Minimizes the software cost and also helps effective management of the money.
- Increases the reliability of the software by carrying processes like testing, reusability and potability.
Characteristics of a good Software Engineer
- Good Programming skills.
- Highly motivated.
- Ability to work in team on the same project.
- Should have a good technical knowledge about the project.
- Good at problem solving.
- Good at logic development.
- Good communication skills.
Books for helping you in understanding software engineering in detail
Books for India:
1. Clean Architecture: A Craftsman’s Guide to Software Structure and Design
2. Software Engineering
Books for users from United states:
1. Software Engineering
2. Become an Effective Software Engineering Manager: How to Be the Leader Your Development Team Needs
3. Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
This was an overview about “what is software engineering”. If you liked the article do share it with your friends.
And let us know your thoughts about the article in comment section.