What is Python?
Popularity of Python (2015-2020):
Python is a high-level and general-purpose programming language. Python is a very popular programming language, used for various applications in computer science including Artificial Intelligence and data science.
Python was created in the 1980s by Guido van Rossum (a successor to the ABC programming language) at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica in the Netherlands.
Python is a fourth-generation programming language. Python was first released in 1991. Python version 2.0 was released in 2000 with various new features such as list comprehensions, and a garbage collection with reference counting.
Over the past decade, Python has emerged to be one of the best programming languages which are highly preferred by programmers all over the world. Python has a huge community and the community supports the beginner, the expert, and adds to the ever-increasing open-source knowledge base.
Python is a multipurpose language and fully supports Object Oriented Programming as well as Structural programming. Python can also support many other paradigms via extensions.
Average salary of a Python programmer can be around $107,000 or 8LPA in India.
Why to learn Python programming language? –
Python is a high-level, interpreted, interactive and object-oriented scripting language. Python is designed to be highly readable and user-friendly. It has a very close resemblance to English language and it has less syntax than other programming languages.
To become a successful programmer a student or working professional can learn Python.
Python being a very user-friendly and easy programming language it is a language to start programming with. There are too many advantages to learn python they are –
- Python is an interpreted language – Python is processed at runtime by the interpreter. There is no need to compile the program code.
- Python is interactive – A Python user can directly interact with the interpreter to write a code.
- Python is Easy to learn – Python is considered as one of the most easy programming languages and it is also best for beginner’s to start learning with.
- Large community – Python has a huge community to support the user. And there are continuous new features added.
- Large scale applications – Python has so many applications in computer science that a well experienced python programmer can easily get a high earning job.
Features of Python programming language –
1. Easy to learn –
Python is a high-level and general-purpose programming language. Python is very easy to learn compared to other languages like C, C++, Java, and many more due to less syntax and close resemblance to English.
2. Free and Open Source –
Python is freely available at its official website and you can download python by clicking the following link :
Python Download Link : Click Here
Python can be used on any operating system like Windows, Linux, etc.
3. Supports Object-Oriented Programming –
Object-Oriented Programming is one of the key features of the Python programming language. It supports Object-oriented along with concepts of class, inheritance, object encapsulation, etc.
4. Databases –
Python provides interfaces to all commercial databases.
5. Portable programming language –
We can run Python code on any operating system like Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. without making any changes.
6. GUI supported programming language –
Graphical User interfaces can be made using a module such as PyQt5, PyQt4, wxPython, or Tk in python.
PyQt5 is the most popular option for creating graphical apps with Python.
7. Interpreted programming language –
Python is an interpreted programming language because Python code is executed line by line at a time. There is no need to compile Python code unlike Java, C++, C, etc. making debugging easy.
8. Huge set of libraries –
Python has various well-known libraries with different applications Like Pandas, Tensor-Flow, OpenCV, and many more.
- Easy to read.
- Interpreted language.
- Dynamically typed.
- Free and open source.
- Vast library support.
- Vast community.
- Beginner friendly.
Applications of Python –
Python has a too many applications in computer science, here are some applications of Python programming language –
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Web development
- Game development
- Android development
- Software development
- Data Science and Data Visualization
- Desktop GUI
- Web Scraping applications
- Business applications.
Where is python used? –
Python programming language is used by various top companies including
Books to refer –
1. Python Crash Course.
2. Python CookBook.
3. Automate the Boring Stuff with Python.
4. Core Python Programming.
5. Introduction to Programming using Python.