Get a brief overview of What is Graphic design? With best resources to refer to in 2021!
“Graphic Design” is a frequently used word in today’s digital world. But many of us are not familiar with this field and thus are here to understand “what is graphic design”.
So, this is the exact article that you are searching for my friends and we will be going deep into this massive field and try to dig as much information as we can. Let’s get started without wasting any time.
Table of Content:
- What exactly is Graphic Design?
- Types of Graphic Design.
- What does a Graphic Designer do?
- Where is graphic design exactly used?
- Is graphic design a career?
- Books for graphic designers.
- Software of Graphic designers.
- Courses to learn graphic design.
- Graphic designer salary.
- How to become a graphic designer in 8 simple steps.
What is graphic design? Or What exactly is graphic design?
Graphic design is an art or certain type of craft where professionals plan and create visual content to communicate ideas and message to the users in touch of that product or service.
Graphic design is a collective set of some techniques like typography, page layout, visual hierarchy and color logic which make a product more informative with a smaller number of words in it.
Graphic design is a very deep concept and plays a vital role in designing of any product, as it tries to get the attention of the consumers and conveys its message in a short but informative manner.
According to Wikipedia:
Graphic design is the profession and academic discipline whose activity consists in projecting visual communications intended to transmit specific messages to social groups, with specific objectives.
Types of Graphic design:
- Product Design.
- Digital Design.
- Marketing and advertising graphic design.
- UI (User Interface) graphic design.
- Web and Mobile design.
- Print design.
- Animation design.
- Environmental design.
- Packaging design.
These types of graphic design are also called as methods of graphic design.
What does a graphic designer do?
Graphic designers create and develop visual concepts, with computer software such as Adobe Illustrator and Crello or by hand, to convey the message that inspires and grab attention of the consumers.
Graphic designers also develop some of the crucial design in the products such as advertisements, magazines and reports.
Here are some of the duties of a graphic designer in the companies:
- Designing layouts of the products which include color, typefaces and images.
- Developing and designing visual elements such as logos, web designs, app design and illustrations required for them.
- Present the design prototypes to the client or the directors for further development.
- Review the designs, layouts, and prototype for errors before publishing or printing them.
Where is graphic design exactly used?
Graphic design is used in fields such as:
- It is used in development of Games.
- Used in Posters and Billboards.
- Used for web and app designing.
- Used in making of videos and animations.
- Used in books and publications for image and illustration purposes.
- Used in products for logos and brandings.
Is graphic design a career?
Absolutely, graphic designing is at its peak as the most of the business are going online and if the business grow there will need of such people who could serve the designing and layout part for their products. This is the place where graphic designers are need.
So, definitely graphic design can be considered as a career. Also, many graphic designers have their own business and work for big companies to solve their designing related problems.
Books for graphic designers
Here are 5 books for graphic designers which would help them in their designing journey:
1. How Design Makes Us Think: And Feel and Do Things
2. How to Use Graphic Design to Sell Things, Explain Things, Make Things Look Better, Make People Laugh, Make People Cry, and (Every Once in a While) Change the World
3. Thinking with type: A Critical Guide for Designers, Writers, Editors, & Students
4. Graphic Design: The New Basics
5. Graphic Design Play Book
Software and Tools for Graphic designers
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Adobe InDesign.
- Adobe XD.
- Affinity Designer
- Adobe Illustrator.
- Gravit Designer
Courses to learn graphic design
1. Beginners Guide to Graphic Design
2. Graphic Design | Fluid | Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop
Graphic designer salary:
According to indeed.com the average salary of graphic designer is around:
1. $18.21/hour in USA
2. 17,172 Rs/month in India
How to become a remote graphic designer in 8 simple steps.
1. As graphic designing is a profession that most probably is done form home so here we will be focusing on the remote part more.
2. Decide on your design services to which you would like to work for.
3. Try to be fixing and stable on your hourly and daily rates.
4. Learn software tools and some important skills that would help you in seeking more clients and projects.
5. Create an online portfolio for work through which you could display the quality and quantity of work you have offered to the clients.
6. Create your online present and profiles so that any could find you easily and get in touch with you if any project is to be done.
7. Get the work through online freelancing platforms such as freelancer, upwork, dribble and many more.
8. Try to have a positive relationship with your clients as they could help you in getting more projects and designing things.
This was a complete overview on graphic design. Hop you enjoyed reading it. Make sure you checkout our other articles on designing.