What is Content Management System (CMS)? With benefits and examples included
CMS a highly used word in content creation world. But what exactly is CMS? Don’t worry in this article not just get what is CMS (Content Management System) but we will be taking an overview on this massive field of website development.
If you have ever wondered about how articles are written and what is the base on which these websites are developed this is exactly what we will be going through this article.
So, buckle up and get ready for some mind-blowing facts and figures about CMS.
What is Content Management System (CMS)?
Starting with “CMS” till now you would already know that CMS stands of “Content Management System”.
CMS is an application that is used to create, edit and manage the web content. These applications also help in development of the website with great functionality without writing any line of code. So, these are also called “code free applications”.
The user can create, modify and publish articles and websites without any code. CMS is stored in the database and it interacts with the user through a graphical interface layer.
According to Wikipedia CMS is :
A content management system (CMS) is a computer software used to manage the creation and modification of digital content.
How does CMS work?
CMS is known of its communication with its user. Mainly all the CMS platforms have their dashboard from where the user can interact with the code and make the work needed.
It has a user interface layer between the code and the user this makes the work easier and more efficient. The many benefits behind this model are that non-technical individuals can easily create and navigate through it.
Speaking in technical terms CMS use HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) ,CSS (Cascading StyleSheet) and PHP(Personal Home Page or hypertext processor) as their frontend languages and MySQL as the database management system.
In CMS platform all the functionalities are added in one-click. If any new feature is to be add we just have to add that particular plugin and just like that the functionality is added.
So, it is very easy to operate even if you are a not form technical background. But the User Interface may differ from platform to platform.
Examples of CMS platforms
Here are some applications that fall under the title CMS platforms:
Here are the standings of the CMS platforms according to the number of users and the amount of market shares they hold in 2021.
Benefits of CMS platform
- Easy and efficient to manage.
- Multiple individuals can work on the same project.
- Easily scalable.
- Works with any size of businesses and startups.
- Affordable and sets up in no time.
- Can be easily customize and modified.
- Any feature can be added with just add some plugins and extensions.
- User friendly.
- Quick Deployment.
- SEO friendly features.
- No coding and programming is involved.
- Helps to improve content management and eases the process of publishing content.
Features and Capabilities of CMS platforms:
- SEO compatibility and support.
- Content scheduling.
- E-commerce and Digital functionality with platforms like WordPress, WIX and Shopify.
- Pages and many different templates are included.
- CMS platforms like WordPress and WIX provide a wide variety of themes to the websites.
- Browser compatibility, user-friendly and responsive websites are some of the underlining features of CMS.
- It offers different roles to different individuals in the project according to the task they perform.
- Tools to tag content and create a taxonomy.
Why WordPress rules the CMS platform space?
WordPress was developed in 2003 and been in this space form the beginning. WordPress powers 38% of the Internet, making it the most popular content management system on the planet. Many programmers and developers believe that WordPress was the one who started this era of CMS platforms.
As WordPress is an old player in this race it has been optimized several times and has improved a lot from the beginning. WordPress has also the biggest community in the web development and has a foundation to many big projects.
Also, the reason behind WordPress’s success is that they have humongous amount to plugins, extensions and themes that make any website more attractive and appealing and unique.
WordPress is also an open-source platform and begin successful to provide consistent updates and versions since years.
Begin such a huge platform and community WordPress has been successful in provide many resources and ways that a user can solve its problem in minutes.
Which CMS platform is best for you?
1. WIX : WIX is now a days the pretty good option for those who are looking for a small business website and are new to CMS space.
2. Squarespace : Squarespace is a platform for the Creative Professionals. Like displaying your designs and includes a lot of graphical content then Squarespace will serve best features for you.
3. Shopify : Shopify is a comparatively new platform but has gained a lot of eye balls because of the service they provide. Shopify is mainly developed for the digital business and shops.
4. WordPress : This is the platform that can provides all the features as the all others combined. But WordPress is a bit difficult to maintain. So, the best is to stick to its frame and do things like content writing and articles.
Books and Courses for CMS
WordPress: The Missing Manual
These are all the factors and aspects that come under CMS platform. Hope you enjoyed reading the article as I enjoyed writing it. And do check our other article if liked it. Share with your friends that are in need of such articles. Thankyou of tuning in.